Frequently Asked Question PDF Print E-mail
Written by Northern Apprenticeship Committee Coordinator   
Monday, 20 August 2012 21:38


Frequently Asked Questions

1.    What are the benefits of being an apprentice?

You earn a wage while you learn the trade. You will learn from a skilled journeyperson. You will attend short periods of technical training to reinforce what you have learned on the job. Some employers only hire individuals who have completed an apprenticeship. You can earn your credential without incurring a large debt.

2.    How do I become an apprentice?

To become an apprentice in a trade, you must be working in the trade and your employer must be willing to train you. An application form and an apprenticeship contract must be completed and signed by you and your employer. The forms are submitted to the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission, along with a registration fee.

3.    Do you have a list of employers looking for apprentices?

No, unfortunately, we do not keep lists of employers looking to hire apprentices. It is up to the individual to obtain employment in their chosen field. Employment services are provided by organizations such as the Canada-Saskatchewan Career and Employment Centres located in all major centres in the province.

4.    What is the value of a journeyperson certificate?

Journeyperson certification shows that you have met the standard set by industry for your trade. This means you have the required broad experience in the workplace and have successfully passed the certification examination.

Journeyperson certification is recognized by employers across Canada.

There may be a wage incentive to be a certified journeyperson in your trade.

Journeyperson certification will provide other career opportunities in the trade or in related trades.

Some employers only hire individuals who have met an industry standard through training and certification.

5.    What is a compulsory trade?

A compulsory trade is a trade where you must be a registered apprentice or a certified journeyperson. The compulsory apprenticeship trades are Electrician, Plumber, Refrigeration Mechanic and Sheet Metal Worker. You can work up to, and including, 900 hours (six months) in the trade prior to becoming a registered apprentice.

6.    What must I do if my Learner’s Certificate has expired?

If you hold an expired or expiring Learner’s Certificate and you do not have your full trade time hours, apply for an extension by completing a Form 3 – Application for Certificate and submit it with your Form 6A – Verification of Trade Experience (located on the page of your designated trade) to the Trade Time Assessor. The Assessment Officer will pro-rate the trade time established with the full time requirements to establish an extended date of expiry. There is no fee required.

7.    How do I get a gasfitter license?

Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission administers the examination for the gasfitter license in the province. However, gasfitter licenses are issued through the:

Ministry of Corrections, Public Safety and Policing Licensing and Inspections Branch Gas and Electrical Licensing 600 – 1874 Scarth Street REGINA, SK   S4P 4B3 Tel:  (306) 787-4530 Fax:  (306) 798-8882 Website:

8.    Will I get any credit for courses I have taken prior to becoming an apprentice?

The Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission grants credit for prior learning and work experience where possible. When you apply for apprenticeship, your documents will be assessed to determine if any credit can be granted.

9.    How do I apply for a journeyperson examination?


Apprentices write for their journeyperson certification at the end of their final level of technical training. No application or fee is required.

Apprentices taking a written or practical examination for a second time or more in the same trade must complete an Application for Examination (Form 2) and submit a fee.


First time applicants must submit a Tradesperson Registration Form (Form 7) and a fee of $480. The Form 7 must be accompanied by Verification of Trade Experience – (Form 6A) form confirming their experience in the trade. Trade specific Form 6A can be found under each respective trade on this website. Tradespersons must verify “full time” in their trade in order to qualify for the journeyperson examination.

Tradespersons taking a written or practical examination for a second time,  or more, in the same trade must complete an Application for Examination (Form 2).  There is a fee for re-examinations – $100 for written exams and $160 for practical exams.

Compulsory Upgrading Trades: To be eligible for a journeyperson examination in the carpenter, concrete finisher or insulator trades, tradespersons must successfully complete the prescribed upgrading training.

Full time for a trade is outlined in the regulations governing each trade.

Please refer to the Examination Schedule for locations and dates.

10.    I have worked in a trade for several years. Will my work experience be counted if I register as an apprentice in that trade?

All work experience in the trade is assessed when you register as an apprentice or tradesperson. Apprentices are normally required to work a minimum of half the term of apprenticeship under a contract.

11.  How much is tuition?

The cost of tuition for apprenticeship technical training is $75 per week for all apprenticeship trades.  The minimum tuition fee is $300.

Apprentices in the electrician trade will pay an additional surcharge of $12.00 per week to recover the costs for an increase in the length of technical training.

12.    How much is tradesperson registration?

The fee to register as a tradesperson and write the journeyperson examination is $480.  However, the tradesperson registration for the hairstylist trade is $250.

As a registered tradesperson, the Commission will provide an assessment of your work experience, administer the journeyperson examination and issue and register your certificate upon successful completion.

13.     What financial assistance is available to apprentices?

As an apprentice, you may be eligible to receive Employment Insurance while attending apprenticeship technical training. In addition, you may be eligible to receive a living away from home allowance providing:

  • You apply for, and are eligible to collect, Employment Insurance; and currrently receiving Employment Insurance; or, are deemed a “Reachback” by Employment Insurance officials.
  • You are required to maintain a second residence at the location of training, at additional cost; and
  • Your home residence is 50 km or more away from the training location.

Effective July 1, 2011, new rates provide additional funding to apprentices to meet the rising costs of maintaining a second residence while they are attending technical training. The new rates for apprentices increased from $94 per week to $125 per week. The rate for apprentices whose principal or secondary residence is located in the Northern Saskatchewan Administration District will increase from $125 per week to $175 per week.

14. What should I pay my apprentice?

Refer to the following table:

Wage Table

15. Can a cancelled apprentice be re-instated into apprenticeship training?

It depends on the amount of time that has passed since their contract was cancelled and the trade they want to register in.

Effective March 1, 2012, apprentices whose contracts of apprenticeship have been cancelled may be re-instated in the same trade as the previous contract without additional employer registration fees (currently $150) provided they apply within one year of the date of cancellation. The indenture (registration) date will remain the same. Beyond one year from the date of cancellation, the employer registration fee must be submitted in full and the apprentice will be re-indentured with a new indenture (registration) date in the same trade as the previous contract.


1.    Apprentice A’s apprenticeship contract was cancelled on March 5, 2011 and requests reinstatement in the same trade on March 2, 2012. Apprentice “A” does not have to pay the $150 registration fee and the indenture date remains the same as when the original contract of apprenticeship was registered.

2.    Apprentice B’s apprenticeship contract was cancelled on March 5, 2011 and requests reinstatement in the same trade on March 10, 2012. Apprentice “B” MUST submit the $150 registration fee along with the contract and the new indenture (registration) date becomes March 10, 2012.

If an apprentice registers in a different trade from the one in which they were cancelled, whether before or after one year of cancellation, this policy does not apply. A new trade requires a new contract along with the full registration fee.