Facts About Tuition PDF Print E-mail
Written by Northern Apprenticeship Committee Coordinator   
Thursday, 21 June 2012 17:26

Apprenticeship Facts About Tuition Fees

Apprenticeship remains a successful and cost-effective post-secondary opportunity for young people.

  • Apprentices earn while they learn in the workplace and the technical training requires only brief absences from the workplace.  Progressing through the program and achieving certification immediately affects apprentices’ income.
  • The program is industry driven to meet labour market demands.
  • Saskatchewan’s apprenticeship program has a higher success rate than the national average. For example, in 2010, Saskatchewan apprentices’ success rate on Red Seal interprovincial examinations was 79%, compared to an average of 71% for the rest of the country.

The tuition fee increase will help to meet the growing demand for training.

  • The number of apprentices taking technical training has increased 79% over the last 5 years – from 3,296 in 2006-2007 to a budgeted 5,900 for 2011-2012.

The cost of apprenticeship training is fair and reasonable.

  • While fees have not increased since 2004-2005, inflation has driven up the cost of training by 25% in the last 8 years which was not passed on to the apprentice. With this tuition increase, the apprentice will now pay about 20% of the cost to attend technical training, while provincial grants will pay the remaining 80%.
  • The provincial government has increased the public’s funding of the apprenticeship system by 58% ($7.2M) in the last 5 years.
  • Saskatchewan apprenticeship fees will remain competitive among the western provinces and lower than British Columbia and Alberta.
  • The increase in revenue will be spent entirely on training programs for apprentices.

Many grants and financial supports are available to apprentices. These include:

  • Employment Insurance while attending training.
  • Provincial training living away from home allowance of $125/week while attending technical training.
  • Federal Apprenticeship Incentive Grants in Red Seal trades of $1,000 for successful completion of Level 1 training, $1,000 for successful completion of Level 2 training, and a $2,000 Completion Grant for achieving journeyperson certification; approximately 95% of Saskatchewan’s apprentices are registered in Red Seal trades.
  • Federal Tradesperson's Tools Deduction of up to $500 annually to help cover the cost of new tools.
  • The Saskatchewan Employees' Tool Tax Credit recognizes the costs associated with purchasing, replacing and upgrading eligible tools by qualifying employees as a condition of their employment.
  • The Graduate Retention Program rebate for tuition fees paid by eligible graduates who live in Saskatchewan and who file a Saskatchewan income tax return.
  • The new Saskatchewan Advantage Scholarship of up to $500 for each high school student who graduated after January 1, 2012 and entered a post-secondary program of studies after April 1, 2012. This scholarship is available in each of 4 years of study completed within the next 10 years.

Details about these programs are posted under “Support Programs” on www.saskapprenticeship.ca .